The Stars, of Cincinnati, are to play the Brown Stockings at the Grand Avenue Park to-day and to-morrow. The Stars are the Buckeyes reorganized, and include in their team such veterans as Reilly, Jones, Miller, Booth, Carey, Mervey, Shallisc, Shoup and Fagan. The Browns, to compete with this strong team, will present their best men. Peters and McCaffrey will play second and first base, respectively, while Dan Morgan will look after center field, and the rest of the team will be in their home positions. The recent rain has done the Grand avenue grounds a deal of good, and better fielding may be looked for accordingly. To-day’s contest will commence at 4 o’clock sharp.
-St. Louis Globe-Democrat, September 10, 1881
- Why "This Game Of Games"?
- What's Up With That Rooster?
- The Old Blog
- Henry Gratiot and Early St. Louis Ball-Playing
- Baseball In The Illinois Country
- Thoughts On The Origin and Spread Of The Early Game
- The Great Match Of Base Ball
- Civil War Baseball
- Chris Von der Ahe and the Creation of Modern Baseball
- The Fall Of Von der Ahe
- 19th Century St. Louis Baseball Clubs
- 19th Century St. Louis Baseball Grounds
- Protoball Stuff
- Research Links
- Published Work
- Contact Me