Ex-President Chris Von der Ahe spent another week in the Allegheny County jail in deference to the opinion of his lawyers that he could be speedily legally freed without sacrificing the large amount of money demanded of him. The design is to secure his release on bail, pending an appeal to and hearing by the United States Supreme Court as to the legality of Mr. Von der Ahe's kidnapping. This is all well, as it is worth some individual hardships to have the important questions of personal rights and privileges involved in this case passed upon by the highest tribunal in the land. Mr. Von der Ahe is still in jail at this writing, but is likely to be liberated in time to greet his fellow magnates in person at St. Louis next week.
-Sporting Life, February 26, 1898
- Why "This Game Of Games"?
- What's Up With That Rooster?
- The Old Blog
- Henry Gratiot and Early St. Louis Ball-Playing
- Baseball In The Illinois Country
- Thoughts On The Origin and Spread Of The Early Game
- The Great Match Of Base Ball
- Civil War Baseball
- Chris Von der Ahe and the Creation of Modern Baseball
- The Fall Of Von der Ahe
- 19th Century St. Louis Baseball Clubs
- 19th Century St. Louis Baseball Grounds
- Protoball Stuff
- Research Links
- Published Work
- Contact Me