President Von der Ahe yesterday closed a contract with Manager John Kelly, of the Louisville club, to officiate with either Gaffney or Dorscher in the world's championship series as umpire. There is no better umpire in the profession than King Kelly, as his admirers call him, and he will no doubt give great satisfaction to all concerned.
-St. Louis Globe-Democrat, October 6, 1887
- Why "This Game Of Games"?
- What's Up With That Rooster?
- The Old Blog
- Henry Gratiot and Early St. Louis Ball-Playing
- Baseball In The Illinois Country
- Thoughts On The Origin and Spread Of The Early Game
- The Great Match Of Base Ball
- Civil War Baseball
- Chris Von der Ahe and the Creation of Modern Baseball
- The Fall Of Von der Ahe
- 19th Century St. Louis Baseball Clubs
- 19th Century St. Louis Baseball Grounds
- Protoball Stuff
- Research Links
- Published Work
- Contact Me