The coming series between the Chicago White Stockings and the St. Louis Browns is attracting more attention than any recent event in base ball circles, and I believe the contest will be the most exciting of any yet held. Admirers of the national game in each city are backing their favorites with their cash, and it is said there is more money at stake now upon the result of the series than ever placed in the same way before. The Browns will do their level best to bring the world's pennant back to St. Louis again this year, and are in splendid shape for the contest.
-St. Louis Globe-Democrat, October 17, 1886 (quoting Chris Von der Ahe)
- Why "This Game Of Games"?
- What's Up With That Rooster?
- The Old Blog
- Henry Gratiot and Early St. Louis Ball-Playing
- Baseball In The Illinois Country
- Thoughts On The Origin and Spread Of The Early Game
- The Great Match Of Base Ball
- Civil War Baseball
- Chris Von der Ahe and the Creation of Modern Baseball
- The Fall Of Von der Ahe
- 19th Century St. Louis Baseball Clubs
- 19th Century St. Louis Baseball Grounds
- Protoball Stuff
- Research Links
- Published Work
- Contact Me