The Empire Base Ball Club, of St. Louis, one of the strongest in the West, has challenged the Union club, also of this city, to a grand trial of strength for the championship of Missouri. The challenge has been accepted and the match will come off on the 26th inst., on the grounds of the Empire club, near the machine shop of the Pacific Railroad.
-Missouri Republican, June 13, 1867
- Why "This Game Of Games"?
- What's Up With That Rooster?
- The Old Blog
- Henry Gratiot and Early St. Louis Ball-Playing
- Baseball In The Illinois Country
- Thoughts On The Origin and Spread Of The Early Game
- The Great Match Of Base Ball
- Civil War Baseball
- Chris Von der Ahe and the Creation of Modern Baseball
- The Fall Of Von der Ahe
- 19th Century St. Louis Baseball Clubs
- 19th Century St. Louis Baseball Grounds
- Protoball Stuff
- Research Links
- Published Work
- Contact Me