A very amusing joke was played on the Altoona catcher by Dunlap. In a recent game of St. Louis vs. Altoona, there was a foul ball knocked close to the catcher, but near a bench. The Altoona catcher was just about putting his hand on it, when Dunlap hollowed, "Move that bench, quick!" The catcher looked to see the bench and missed the ball.
-Cleveland Herald, May 29, 1884
- Why "This Game Of Games"?
- What's Up With That Rooster?
- The Old Blog
- Henry Gratiot and Early St. Louis Ball-Playing
- Baseball In The Illinois Country
- Thoughts On The Origin and Spread Of The Early Game
- The Great Match Of Base Ball
- Civil War Baseball
- Chris Von der Ahe and the Creation of Modern Baseball
- The Fall Of Von der Ahe
- 19th Century St. Louis Baseball Clubs
- 19th Century St. Louis Baseball Grounds
- Protoball Stuff
- Research Links
- Published Work
- Contact Me