19th century club and game photos from St. Louis are very rare and we don't have many photos from clubs other than the Browns. So this is a good find and the fact that it includes game action is pretty amazing. And remember that this is from 1880, which was right in the middle of St. Louis' baseball interregnum, after the Brown Stockings broke up and before the Browns started up. It's a period when baseball's popularity waned in St. Louis and when there wasn't a lot of baseball coverage in the local papers. This photo is evidence of how baseball carried on in the St. Louis area, even during the difficult circumstances of the Interregnum era.
- Why "This Game Of Games"?
- What's Up With That Rooster?
- The Old Blog
- Henry Gratiot and Early St. Louis Ball-Playing
- Baseball In The Illinois Country
- Thoughts On The Origin and Spread Of The Early Game
- The Great Match Of Base Ball
- Civil War Baseball
- Chris Von der Ahe and the Creation of Modern Baseball
- The Fall Of Von der Ahe
- 19th Century St. Louis Baseball Clubs
- 19th Century St. Louis Baseball Grounds
- Protoball Stuff
- Research Links
- Published Work
- Contact Me