A Row Among Base Ball Players. - On Sunday afternoon a game of base ball, between the Liberty and Artisan clubs, took place in the northern part of the city. During the progress of the game, some difficulty occurred, which resulted in a fight, in which a young man named Pierce was struck in the head with a bat, and seriously injured. The police arrested a young man named Hart, who in trying to escape got also hit on the head and seriously cut. We could not ascertain definitely the origin of the difficulty.
-Missouri Republican, November 6, 1866
- Why "This Game Of Games"?
- What's Up With That Rooster?
- The Old Blog
- Henry Gratiot and Early St. Louis Ball-Playing
- Baseball In The Illinois Country
- Thoughts On The Origin and Spread Of The Early Game
- The Great Match Of Base Ball
- Civil War Baseball
- Chris Von der Ahe and the Creation of Modern Baseball
- The Fall Of Von der Ahe
- 19th Century St. Louis Baseball Clubs
- 19th Century St. Louis Baseball Grounds
- Protoball Stuff
- Research Links
- Published Work
- Contact Me