Empire, of St. Louis, vs. Empire, of Freeport. - The Empire B.B. Club of St. Louis, composed of Messrs. Barrett, Worth, Quinn, Norton, Tobias, Fitzgerald, Johnston, Fruin and Duncan; and the Empire Club of Freeport, Messrs. Buckman, Cavanagh, Lighthart, Butler, Delfendorf, Farwell, Teed, Brewater and Thomas, played a match game at Freepot, on or about the Fourth, which was won by the St. Louis boys by a score of 27 to 20.
-New York Clipper, July 15, 1865
- Why "This Game Of Games"?
- What's Up With That Rooster?
- The Old Blog
- Henry Gratiot and Early St. Louis Ball-Playing
- Baseball In The Illinois Country
- Thoughts On The Origin and Spread Of The Early Game
- The Great Match Of Base Ball
- Civil War Baseball
- Chris Von der Ahe and the Creation of Modern Baseball
- The Fall Of Von der Ahe
- 19th Century St. Louis Baseball Clubs
- 19th Century St. Louis Baseball Grounds
- Protoball Stuff
- Research Links
- Published Work
- Contact Me