This afternoon, at the Compton Avenue park, the "Red Sox" will play a nine made up of the artists and attaches of Deagle's theatre. The latter nine will appear in theatrical costume, and will start from the theatre on Sixth street, above Locust, at 2 P.M. sharp. Fayette Welch will captain the nine, and those that want a hearty laugh should not fail to be present. Admission free.
-St. Louis Republican, April 29, 1875
Some notes on the Reds' opponents:
Deagle's Varieties, subsequently known as the Adelphi Theatre, was originally a school-house, situated on the east side of Sixth Street, between Locust and St. Charles, but was leased from the school board by George Deagle, and transformed into a variety theatre. Its name was afterwards change to the Adelphia, and Mrs. Deagle became the manager, but did not conduct it as a theatre longer than a few weeks. Early in 1877 the building was leased to George E. Finch & Co. for a livery-stable.
-History of Saint Louis City and County (John Scharf)
George J. Deagle, one of the oldest of the old-time group, had practically all of his success in St. Louis, where he made a great deal of money which he invariably lost when sending attractions to Chicago and other cities. He held territorial rights in "The Black Crook" and "The Green Huntsman," presenting the same very handsomely. His theatre in St. Louis, which he called Deagle's Varieties, was upon the site now occupied by the Grand Opera House. Mr. Deagle surrendered its lease in 1873, when he was succeeded by Ben De Bar. His subsequent theatrical operations were not fortunate...
-Fifty Years in Theatrical Management (Michael Leavitt)